The Clay Arts Guild (CAG) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit consisting of students and supporters of the Walnut Creek Center for Community Arts ceramics education program. The Walnut Creek ceramics studio is considered one of the oldest and best-equipped in the Bay Area. This website is offered as a guide to our studio and community.
The purpose of CAG is to raise funds and contribute time and effort towards maintenance and improvements to the studio environment. This in turn supports and encourages ceramics students to develop and improve their skills and understanding of clay. Classes and studio management are provided by the city of Walnut Creek.
Here are some of the ways CAG provides significant support:
- Helping the City with equipment purchases, for example in 2016 CAG donated funds for 50% of the cost of the studio’s new gas kiln.
- CAG co-sponsors the studio’s renowned Master Potter Workshops, providing funding and event hospitality.
- CAG provides funds for student “scholarships” for those in financial need.
- CAG volunteers act as studio monitors during 30 hours of open studios per week, rather than the city paying employees to work these hours.
- CAG volunteers gather at the end of each quarter for a 2-hour thorough studio clean up.
- CAG volunteers participate in City events, such as Family Arts Days, where we show children the joys of working with clay.
- CAG volunteers create 100+ bowls annually as a donation to the Food Bank of Contra Costa Empty Bowls Project.